Maha Kalyani Sima
This Sacred hall of ordination was originally constructed in 1476 by Myanmar King Dhammazedi, the famous alchemist Myanmar king and son of Myanmar Queen Shinsawpu. It stands beside the road enroute from the triain station to the shwethalyaung in Myanmar Bago. Maha Kalyani Sima was the first of 397 similar sima, Myanmar king Dhammazedi built around Myanmar country, copying plans brought back from Sri Lanka. Philip De Brito, the renegade Portuguese adventurer, burnt it down in 1599 during his period of plunder, and during the sacking of Bago in 1757 it was destroyed once again. Subsenquently, it suffered from fires or quakes on the number of occasions before being leveled by the disastrous 1954 in Myanmar Bago. Next to the hall are 10 large tabltes with inscriptions in Pali and Mon. the hall itself features rows of tented arches around the outside, with an impressive separate cloister and marble floors in side. Niches along the inside upper walls contain 28 standing Myanmar Buddha images.
Shwegugale Paya A little beyond Myanmar Mahazedi, this Myanmar Shwegugale zedi has dark go around the circumference of the cylindrical superstructure. The monument dates to 1494 and the reign of Myanmar king Byinnya Yan. Inside are 64 seated Myanmar Buddha figures. From here you can take a short cut back to the corner in the road, just before the shwethalyaung Myanmar Bago pagoda.
PYAY (PROME) In Myanmar, Pyay is quiet, stupa-studded Myanmar Ayeyarwaddy river side town, 294km north of Yangon Myanmar. Pyay is at the cross roads for bumpy bus rides west to Ngapali Beach in Myanmar, and less bumpy bus rides north to Bagan main Myanmar tourist place. Over the years it's practically seen more archaeologists than travelers, due to the much-excavated ancient Pyu capital of Myanmar Thayekhittaya, 8km east. But Pyay can fill a good day, with the ruins, hilltop Myanmar pagodas the famous, lt at night, and a spectacled Buddha south town. Locals alternate the town's pronunciation between "pyay" and "pyi". The Brits, apparently, couldn't deal with the confusion so called it Prome in Myanmar.
The current town site became an important trading centre during the Bagan era. The Mon controlled it when Burmese king Alaungpaya conquered it in 1754. Pyay boomed, along with the British Irrawaddy Flotilla Company in the 1890s. Today it's an important cargo town in Myanmar, set at a transshipment point between northern and southern Myanmar.
Shwesandaw Paya is set on top a hill in the centre of Pyay Myanmar, the stunning Shwedandaw paya is not only Pyay's biggest point of interest, but one of the country's biggest Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Myanmar. Just over 1m taller than the Myanmar main zedi at Yangon's Shwedagon call it Shwe-D Myanmar Shwesandaw stupa follows the classic Myanmar Burma design seen at Bagan's Shwezigon.
Myanmar Legend goes that it was built by a couple of Myanmar merchants in 589BC and that Myanmar golden zedi houses four strands of the Buddha's hair.
Atop the zedi are two hti, unusal for Myanmar. The lower, bigger one dates from Pyay's days as a Mon city. The higher, smaller one was added by Myanmar Alaungpaya as a symbol of peace between the Burmese and Mon, after brutally capturing the city in 1754.
In the southwest corner of the complex, the Sacred Tooth Hall is said to house an original tooth from the Myanmar Buddha. It's in the golden bell behind the glass. The locks come off once a year for the November full-moon Myanmar estivities.
The panoramic views from the Myanmar pagoda are pretty great too. To the east, you'll see the Sehtatgyi Paya, a giant seated Buddha watching over the Shwesandaw eye-to-eye.
The smaller Myanmar gold stupa on the highest hill southeast of Shwesandaw is the Wunchataung Paya, where people can say "sorry" for misdeeds. They get the best view of Shwesandaw and mountains across the river while they're at it. You can reach it via Sethatgyi Rd, east of the Shwesandaw Paya in Myanmar Bago.
You can take an elevator up to the Shwesandaw platform from the northwest side, but it's not really that big of a hike up. The northern stairway is lined with Myanmar shops.
There's a K200 fee for "small cameras" K500 for "big cameras" or video cameras.
Payagyi Paya This towering Myanmar pagoda stands on the road to Thayekhittaya, about 1.5km east of the Myanmar bus station in Pyay. Payagyi Paya served as one of the four corners that bounded that Myanmar ancient town, its breasts like structure is slightly swollen, with some vegetation growing out of cracks in the exposed bricks. Three terraces encircle it from its base; "ladies" are not allowed on the upper one. The modern hti is lit up at night.
It history is linked with the nearby Thayekhittaya and most likely dates from the 5th or 6th century AD. Nearby stand a couple of lofty teak trees, safe from woodcutters' axes as they occupy sacred ground in Myanmar.
Thayekhittaya About 8km east of the Aung San statue in the neighbouring Myanmar village of Hmawza, this Myanmar ancient site known to Pali-Sanskrit scholars as Sri Ksetra is an enormous Pyu city that ruled in the area from the 5th to 9th centuries AD. Local legend links its origin to the mythical Myanmar King Dattabaung, who supposedly worked with ogres and other Myanmar supernatural creatures to build the "magical city" in 443BC. The earliest Pali inscriptions found here date to the 5th or 6th centuries. Sight seeing thayekhittaya means taking a three or four hour ox-cart loop to spaced-out Myanmar temples. It can't rival Bagan in terms of majesty, but lack of tourists and real peeks into local Myanmar farming communities are serious bonuses.